Friday, April 29, 2011

How to create your own URL shortener

Well, all of us have some time or the other in our life come across some long and forgettable URLs. Well at that time of life, URL shortening service used came to our rescue. But since the better part of life remains, lets  create our very own URL shortening service. Well before thinking of some hardcore programming, let me inform you that we are going to create it without the need of programming.

Requirements :-
1.) Web-Host with PHP and MySQL support.
2.) us (:-))



Well lets discuss about what would you need. URL shorteners can be made by many ways, I mean to say. But there's a list of certain scripts that we would love to share.
1.) YOURLS
                    A very powerful tool for making URL shorteners but personally I feel that they are quite complex to install.

2.) PHURLS
                   I just love it. I mean it is simple to install, to edit, to publish. A perfect option for those who want a hassle-free installation.

3.) KISSABE
                    Haven't heard from it for a while now but fellow bloggers are liking it.

4.) SHORTY
                    It needs PHP 4+, MySQL 3.32+ and Apache 1.2 + to run. Expect  an admin where you can control your links.

Simple Things First
You have to create a MySQL database to store URLs.
Be patient.
Have a small domain name (like go.od or om.ge, nothing but short)
A

author

This post is written by:Somanshu Srivastava

Hello, I am Somanshu Srivastava, the creator and the founder of this blog. I have e been blogging since 2007. I reside in India. Currently surviving high school, I like blogging, website designing, website developing.

@Twitter@Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment